Sunday, August 28, 2011

Strength Is A Fallacy

In EvE there is a certain rhythm to things. Corporations and Alliances grow and contract. Players achieve amazing heights only to end up burning out and afk'ing for months at a clip. In the nearly four years I've been active in this game I've come to a sort of acceptance. What is impenetrable today will become a sponge tomorrow. Walls can crumble, and sometimes all it takes is a gentle breeze.

Recently I've had the good fortune to get into some really good fleets and I've enjoyed them immensely. The FC's I've flown with are great and all the pilots I've had as fleet-mates are more than competent. From the outside, looking in, all would seem wonderful. But knowing the game, and people in general, I expect this to be a temporary phenomenon.

During the disbanding of a recent fleet, I caught a faint whisper among friends on comms. Part jealousy, part desire just to see the world burn, a couple of pilots expressed a frustration. The frustration that their power and strength is dependent on outside forces, namely the ability to pull together fleets manned by pilots that are normally neutral at best, or, enemies at worst. I understand that frustration. I also know that the power they feel is a result of what is frustrating them, not in spite of it.

And that brings me to the title of this post, "Strength Is A Fallacy". Everything in EvE is situational. For my fellow Sinners, I'd suggest that our recent success with new "friends" be considered just that, situational. Someone, somewhere, will throw a monkey wrench into the machine. Don't be misguided into thinking the current status quo will remain. Now is not the time to get cocky.

No comments:

Post a Comment