Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Getting Settled In The New Corp And Re-learning Old Tricks

The new corp is up and running. Kudos to Marc on the site, forums, and KB. Thanks for the blog link! We've got a good solid core group, everyone gets along, everyone is quite capable, and no drama whores or cry babies. We've decided to shake off some rust and get ourselves settled in to the new ethos we've compiled for Sinners. before recruiting any more pilots. One of our core principles is better PvP'ers rather than bigger numbers so there's no rush.

Just as predicted the Aurohunen and Dantumi Systems have seen an uptick in the number of ships visiting the belts and traveling through without the 23/7 gate camps Monsters used to run there. We're finding people ratting again, which is a good thing. We won't catch them all so maybe they will tell their buddies about the ratting and the giant Veldspar roids waiting to be tapped! Also we don't feel the heat from the blobs so much, another indication that Monsters was a corp with a giant target painted on it's back. The most hated from that corp have moved on or don't log in anymore and the weakest pilots that gave Monsters the reputation for easy kills have all left the area.

I'm spending a lot of time hunting rather than camping which is far more rewarding in terms of how a feel about the kills I get or the lack of huge numbers on the KB. I've done things I hadn't done in months upon months. I hopped in a T1 cruiser, jumped the high sec border system Vaaj. and went roaming solo through the Jan/Navula/Otsasai/Taisy area. The ship I chose was one I'd never piloted before, a Celestis (triple dampener fit), and I was anxious to get it into a fight. It was a slow going trip without much action until I was headed back to Aurohunen. I decided to sit in Jan, safed up, for an extra few minutes while chatting on comms with Ocha. I suddenly spotted a lone Moa on scan, narrowed him down to a belt, within about 20 secs he was moving, I narrowed him down to the next belt and aligned, YES! a new npc wreck on scan! He's Ratting! I warp in and see the Moa sitting there pilot-less... WTF? The ship is named "so-and-so's Moa" and "so-and-so" has left local. I immediately think it's a TARP and something cloaky is waiting for me to shoot this empty ship. I hesitate for a minute and set a long orbit making sure I can align or warp if something does decloak. Then I see the pilot back in the ship, all I can think is that he DC'd and the rats had the ship pointed keeping it from warping to a random spot. So I lock him up, point him, drop the triple damps with range scripts on him and start shooting. This guy is fucked. My DPS is crap so it's taking a while and rats eventually do most of the work. Just as he pops I see local spike so I decide to GTFO of the belt. Good thing, it's his corp mates coming to his rescue, just a bit too late for him unfortunately. The smack talk erupts in local, these guys are pissed, insulting my e-honor, my mother, physical appearance, psychological status, etc. I'm eating it up. They've got 4 battlecruisers, and god knows what else on the way, to take out my lone T1 cruiser... I'm the pussy? Really? These guys will get no revenge for their fallen comrade tonight, and, if we'd have had a couple guys nearby to back me up they may have lost their whole fleet. Fun times.

I've gotten a few other good fights the last couple of nights. And the thing I'm most proud of is warping out when I spot trouble on scan or smell something awry. Sounds like something you should learn in PvP 101, and I did, but you'd be surprised how off-track you can get if you let yourself. I'd been taking too many losses the last few months by staying in fights far too long trying to take someone out before I go down. The "Hero's Death" so-to-speak. Enough of that trading a ship for a ship, it's poor PvP'ing and doesn't do me or the corp any good. I'm not any more hesitant to fight than I was before. I'm just trying to play smarter. I'd grown so lazy and developed so many bad habits over the prior six months. I'm really enjoying getting back to basics again.

Link to the Moa kill I talked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment